The people of Ladakh are some of the most courteous and warm people, welcoming guests, making sure they are comfortable and being super helpful when you need them. The best way to experience this warmth and culture is by staying in an authentic Ladakh Homestay.
We have shortlisted the best Leh-Ladakh homestays where one can experience the love and warmth of Ladakhis in the most unadulterated form.
LADAKH HOMESTAYS THAT FEEL LIKE HOME
- Tukchu Home-Stay : An authentic homestay constructed in a traditional manner, the Tukchu Homestay is meant for travellers who would like to enjoy a local experience. A little far from the crowded streets of Leh, just below the Shanti Stupa, the location is peaceful and one gets a beautiful view of the City. Mr. Tukchu is a humble man and ensures a comfortable and warm stay to the travellers. He himself runs this homestay of 8 rooms with a colorful kitchen garden and open sitting area. Being a homestay, at Tukchu you would be provided rooms having hot/cold showers and simple home cooked Indian meals. Ladakhi dishes can also be prepared on request.
We recommend it to people who are looking for a home-like experience with basic needs.
- Eco Homestay : Set 800 metres from the Main Bazaar, Eco Homestay offers accommodation with a shared common area, a garden and a front desk for your convenience. The city and mountains can be seen from most of the rooms. A vegetarian breakfast is available every morning at the homestay. It has 5 rooms with very basic amenities and offers a warm environment for travellers looking for a calm abode. It is located 10 minutes walking distance from the main market, Leh Palace, Changs-pa market, Shanti stupa and other popular spots of Leh. If you would like to discover the area, cycling is possible in the surrounding areas and they can arrange a bicycle rental service as well. We recommend it to travellers who would like to live in a rustic set up with limited access to the internet.
- The Empyrean : The Empyrean is a cosy guest house with 6 rooms with attached bathrooms and a majestic view of the mountains, Stok Kangri and the Shanti Stupa as well. Soft mattresses, off white lighting across the property and spacious rooms with Ladakhi decor enliven the property. Located on Karzu road, guests might find it difficult to reach here. However, the property is a steal! Mr. Skarma ensures the smooth functioning of the guest house and caters to each guest with special care. The meals are basic and home cooked and the staff is well behaved and helpful. Access to wifi is consistent and reliable.
There is a garden with a peach tree, flowers and a sitting area to enjoy your late afternoons.
Think big airy rooms, minimal decor, spacious bathrooms and a zen like feel. We recommend it for travellers on a budget but looking out for a superior experience.
- Heschuk Guest House : Located 600m from the Sankar Gompa, it is a go to guest house for families. Running an independent restaurant along with the stay enables guests to enjoy an amazing meal from the garden produce and the food is delicious. It has an outdoor seating area, luggage storage service to eliminate the hassle of carrying all your luggage to Nubra Valley and Pangong as well as enough parking space for the guests to park their vehicles. The rooms are spacious and very clean. We suggest taking the rooms on the second floor for a better view. Enjoy a cup of tea on the balcony while the sun goes down. The property is run by Padma and her allies and has received multiple recommendations and positive reviews. It is really important for an owner to take care of the guests and Padma seems to have a knack for it.
We recommend it for people who want to experience hospitality and comfort in one location.
- Siala Guest House : One of the oldest guesthouses in Leh where you will be welcomed by the Siala family and experience the traditional Ladakhi hospitality, the guesthouse has been operational since 1999 and has been serving guests from around the globe. They have an inventory of 13 rooms with a beautiful view of Stok Kangri and an organic garden out in the front. One of the rare properties which are open during the winters as well, it provides central heating from October to mid-April. They also provide running hot water and a peaceful environment, situated at a slightly higher elevation.
Mr. Arif and his staff are very courteous and knowledgeable. They are always available for any kind of help one may require.
If you are looking for a home-like and affordable stay in Leh, Siala should be your first choice.
- Amir Homestay : A 40-minute drive from Leh main town in Chuchot Village, situated on a farmland, Amir Homestay offers a rustic set up to its visitors. Chuchot is located on the banks of the river Indus and has 3 villages namely Yokma, Shamma and Gongma. It is the longest village of Ladakh. The locals rear cattle and harvest fields. The village is surrounded by an amphitheatre of mountains and provides the best views and a calm ambience. The sound of the river is magical and one never misses home. Imagine staying in such a set-up with a local family, eating the best farm produce and relaxing in the best surroundings.
Amir homestay provides very basic accommodation with shared bathrooms (since it is an old house), a common area to chill and an open space to take a walk anywhere around the property. If you are looking for a primitive and calm stay, one that takes you back to a simple lifestyle, you should definitely try staying here.
- Leh Stumpa Guest House : Set in the midst of beautiful mountains, The Leh Stumpa boasts of a lovely view of the Shanti Stupa. It is about 15 minutes from the Leh Market. Their garden has pretty colourful flowers and vegetables that are used to make the food cooked there, which is always fresh and served to all guests together in the common area. The rooms are comfortable, clean, spacious, wifi friendly with running hot water, clean washrooms and beautiful views. The hosts run the place with so much warmth, that it is impossible to miss home. Some places leave your heart full and this is one of them.
- Devaranya Cottages : This stay offers an exceptional location and a rustic stay next to the river in a tranquil place called Spituk. Imagine living in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by mountains and a warm comfortable wooden stay. Add to that completely organic food and a home-like feel. Sounds like a dream, right?
The rooms are cosy and comfortable. But the highlight is the outdoors. Sit on the banks of the Indus and bask in the sun or take a walk through the apple orchards. Devaranya Cottages gives you an immersive experience with nature that is hard to forget.
- Chomal Huts : These huts are located in Stok Village, which is approximately a 30 minute drive from Leh main town. The property has a great location and offers an exceptional experience of staying in an all wooden accommodation.
Being a brand new property, the rooms are fitted with all the amenities you need to have a pleasant and luxurious stay. The cottages have an unbeatable view of Leh city in the front and the Stok kangri peak in the back. King sized beds with a fluffy duvet, satellite tv, 24-hour running water with solar panels for hot water, exquisite outdoor patio with picturesque views, and highly spacious living room to accommodate two other members of your family with extra beds are all provisions this place boasts of. The cottages have modern interiors with classical exteriors attuned to the spirit and culture of Leh, Ladakh.
The service at Chomal Huts is unbeatable. The staff is extremely courteous and respectful. Home-cooked food is personally catered to guests’ demands by the cook and the food is sumptuous.
We highly recommend staying at Chomal Huts if you want a calm, quaint and relaxing stay in Leh, away from the hustle-bustle of the city.
- Chalung House : A Chef-run house with an amazing organic garden including warm, basic rooms.
Consisting of a charming four bedroom premises, two of which are available for guests in Leh. Rooms have a direct view of the Stok Range of mountains. The rooms have attached modern bathrooms with running hot water and are thoughtfully furnished for the comfort and convenience of guests. There is a dedicated staffed kitchen and dining hall. Being run by a chef, one can expect finger-licking good food and a lot of vegan options as well. There is also a cafe on site. There are no televisions on the premises and guests are encouraged to spend time with nature.
Stay here for a rich experience of great food, beautiful surroundings and languid unwinding.